SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Ocean - WISE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 15:20:55 -0800
I made the following comments concerning the Conference Board's Roundtable
on the Social Determinants of Health when it first came to the notice of
this list last summer. Since it has come around again and nothing has
changed....

===================================
My first reaction was: &$!^, not AGAIN!

Points of concern:

1. "Provincial and federal government ministries will help LEAD a
participant group that will consist of many social and health related
sub-sectors." This appears to be another of Canada's top-down
money-sucked-down-a-black-hole, aren't-we-TopBrass-the-cat's-meow? venture.

2. "The intent is to conduct research." What the *#!*? MORE research?

   a) "that will examine the conditions" - we already know the conditions.
   b) "that allow for positive action PLANS" - not action, but plans for
action.
   c) "to address issues related to poverty, poor housing conditions, low
literacy, and other challenges that specific populations in Canada face."
How about letting the "specific populations" lead the way and give THEM the
resources to take the actions they have already identified as necessary?

That $3,475 membership fee is a kicker isn't it?

Elsewhere: "the Conference Board of Canada has created a new health network
that will allow key stakeholders to gather together and share challenges but
also offer solutions." Clearly, representatives of marginalized groups are
not considered to be among the 'key stakeholders'.

Ocean, WISE Coordinator
http://www.wise-bc.org/

[See http://www.conferenceboard.ca/RSEDH/rsedh.pdf]