SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Beattie, Tanya" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:46:15 -0500
In Ontario, and I think all of Canada, parents are entitled to 12 months
parental leave, 17 weeks is reserved for the mother as pregnancy leave,
and the remaining 35 weeks can be divided between mom and dad however
they wish to.  We are eligible for 55% paid benefits and a guaranteed
return to work, so it is wonderful.  The biggest obstacle here that I
have encountered is getting the support for the father to use some of
the parental leave, many women still see it as their time, not the
dad's.  And they don't want to give any of it up.  And the other issue
around this is that most father's do not use any of this time, and if
they do it is harder for them in their workplace, it still seems strange
that a man would want to stay home with his kids.  But in my own
experience, it is a wonderful opportunity for the whole family for the
father to be home and I highly recommend it.  Especially for those dads
who really want to, they should have the opportunity to be with their
children and enjoy that special time.  My husband has a very special
relationship with both of our children and I think it has everything to
do with the 4 months he got to spend at home with each of them.
Parental leave should be supported everywhere and hope that one day soon
it will be.

Tanya Beattie, BScH
Public Health Promoter

KFL&A Public Health
221 Portsmouth Avenue
Kingston, Ontario  K7M 1V5
613-549-1232, ext. 293
Fax: 613-549-7896
www.healthunit.on.ca

This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information intended
only for the individual or entity named in the message.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible
to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is prohibited.  If this communication was received in error, please
notify us by reply e-mail and delete the original message.