From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:54:35 -0400
Hart House Presents in sponsorship with the Metcalf Foundation, Cities Centre, UTERN, Centre for Environment and the Environmental Health Justice in the City Research Interest Group:

Greening the Neighbourhood... & How Much It Won't Cost Us
   Majora Carter at Hart House

What: Speaking engagement with Majora Carter & panel discussion including Toronto's Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone

When: Friday March 13, 2009 12:00 to 2:00 PM

Where: Great Hall, Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle, Toronto

Cost: Free, but must reserve through UofTtix: http://www.uofttix.ca / 416-978-8849

For more information, contact:
Zoe Dille                                                           Jenifer Newcombe
Programme Coordinator, Hart House                   Programme Coordinator, Hart House
[log in to unmask] / 416.978.5362              [log in to unmask] / 416.946.8391

More details:

On her first Canadian visit, 2008 NY Post Liberty Medal for Lifetime Achievement recipient Majora Carter will explore sustainability and renewal issues during her speaking engagement on Friday, March 13 from 12:00PM to 2:00PM, 2009 at Hart House, University of Toronto.

A dynamic and passionate speaker, Carter will explore how sustainability, economic community building, and social and environmental justice converge to improve and renew neighborhoods in innovative ways. Carter will also speak to her compelling personal story of activism emerging from her experiences growing up in the South Bronx.

Sandy Houston, President of the Metcalf Foundation, observes that what makes Majora an important voice is her success at bringing an integrated approach to her work with communities, including bringing historically marginalized voices to the table in crafting solutions.
"There is a growing realization in the city that we can't tackle complex problems with disjointed solutions - we need to connect the dots and come at issues with a comprehensive understanding of cause and effect. Majora has embodied this perspective in her work in the South Bronx and we're thrilled that she's bringing this wisdom to Toronto so that we can see our opportunities in a different light."
Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone notes "We are inspired by Ms. Carter's example of community-based projects that merge environmental ideals with tangible action."

Among her achievements, Carter was founder and Executive Director of the not for profit: Sustainable South Bronx - where she pioneered green-collar job training and placement systems in environmentally and economically challenged locations. Today Carter heads the Majora Carter Group, a green-economic development consulting firm, and is co-host of Sundance Channel's The Green, and host of the NPR radio series The Promised Land. Since 1998, Carter has been recognized with over 40 awards including Essence Magazine's 25 Most Influential African Americans in 2007 and the MacArthur "Genius" fellowship. She has also been hailed by Newsweek, BBC World Service and the New York Times as an "influential person to watch."

Majora Carter's talk will also involve commentary and discussion from panelists including:
Joe Pantalone, Deputy Mayor of Toronto
Dr. Blake Poland, associate professor in the Dalla Lana School of Public Health at U of Toronto, co-director of Environmental Health Justice in the City Research Group
Ben Powless, co-founder Canadian Youth Climate Coalition and a Mohawk from the Six Nations
Moderator: Dr. Eric J. Miller, Director of University of Toronto's Cities Centre

This event is not to be missed.

Alison Stirling,
Knowledge Management Developer,
Health Nexus Santé (formerly OPC)