SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Martha Livingston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:01:37 -0700
Dear All,

	This question is close to my heart as a lefty, raised poor,
now academic, and longtime single mom.  I always think that the group
under discussion - people in poverty, etc. - should be included when
at all possible.  My professional group, American Public Health
Association, makes this as hard as can be at their annual
conferences, insisting, for example, that most speakers be APHA
members, or pay several hundred bucks' registration fee.

	A related issue is the notion that those too poor to pay can
"work off" the admission.  Many folks too poor to pay are already
exhausted and hard-pressed for time, so this too can be less than
welcoming, though many would like the opportunity to do the work as a
way to give back.

	At community events, one expression we often use that seems
more welcoming is:  sliding scale, NO ONE WILL BE TURNED AWAY.  While
that may still intimidate some, it generally connotes
acceptance/welcome.

Peace,

Martha

--
Martha Livingston, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Health and Society

"I don't believe in charity.  I believe in solidarity.  Charity is so
vertical.  It goes from the top to the bottom.  Solidarity is
horizontal.  It respects the other person.  I have a lot to learn
from other people."

- Eduardo Galeano