SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Jeff Denis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:02:28 -0500
While it is undoubtedly true that addressing both social context and lifestyle
choices leads to the greatest improvements in health, we must be careful not to
impose certain lifestyles on poor and marginalized groups. There is a fine line
between providing information and preaching about "bad behavior."

So, give everyone the resources and information they need to be healthy, but let
them make their own lifestyle choices (in this new social context).

Usurping the right to lifestyle choice denies freedom (itself a SDOH) and
amounts to forced behavior modification, or what sociologist Mary Patillo calls
a "tyranny of the middle class."

I am confident that most people value health, and, when living in the right
social context, will make healthy choices most of the time, without anyone
shoving the "right" choices down their throat.

Jeff

--
Jeff Denis
PhD Student

"The principle of organizing our society for the benefit of all the people and
not for a privileged few - that is still here and that is a principle to which
we adhere." - Tommy C. Douglas