SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Jeff Denis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:52:39 -0400
I agree - We should be happy if any party acts positively on the SDOH. And I
applaud WISE for actively lobbying all parties on these isssues.

I won't speak for others, but my point was that, in our electoral system, we can
only vote for one party at election time. So which party's policies are most
likely to improve population health and reduce health disparities? From my
perspective, right now, it's the NDP - even if Jack's speech and his foreword
in Dennis's book don't clearly articulate it. If we can convince the other
parties to build affordable housing, raise the minimum wage and social
assistance (or better yet institute a GAIA), create a national public childcare
system, protect public health care, strengthen public education and job
training, and empower Aboriginals and other minority groups, then great. But
the NDP is already promoting such policies. And unless there is a massive shift
in public opinion (as we've seen recently with respect to climate change), I
think it's going to be very difficult to get the Liberals or the Conservatives
or even the Greens to change course (and even if they do change course in
response to public pressure, how committed will they be?).

So, by all means, lobby all parties. Any change for the better IS a change for
the better. I hold no illusions that any single party will create a utopia. The
NDP can be criticized for many things. But when there is an election, let's look
carefully at whose policies do the best job of addressing the SDOH and improving
well-being. I'll be surprised if it isn't the NDP. That's all.

Jeff