SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:11:25 -0400
from Chapter 11 in Raphael, forthcoming

 Among developed nations, left cabinet share is the best predictor of child
poverty rates. Rainwater and Smeeding found a striking relationship between
left cabinet share in national governments from 1946 to the 1990s and child
poverty rates (Rainwater & Smeeding, 2003). Among 14 nations between 1946
and 1990, the presence of left parties in national government was strongly
related to the probability that a child would not experience poverty.  The
correlation was a very strong .84. Sweden for example, had a 32% left
cabinet share with 42-1 odds of escaping child poverty. Belgium has a 13%
left cabinet share and a 18-1 odds of escaping child poverty. Canada has 0%
left cabinet share and 7% odds of escaping child poverty.
      What exactly is left cabinet share?  This term refers to having
members of a social democratic or left party involved in running government
by being in cabinet. Canada has never had a member of a left party in
federal cabinet. Canada has had however, left influence during minority
government situations. The welfare state institutions of medicare and
public pensions were established during periods of minority government rule
in which the NDP held the balance of power.
    Brady studied 16 western democracies for the period 1967 to 1997 and
looked at the impact of left political institutions on a nation’s poverty
rate (Brady, 2003). The findings showed that the power of left political
institutions have a powerful effect on poverty reduction.  It does so
through processes of high voter turnout and support of left parties that
support the welfare state. In addition, coordination of wage negotiation --
a result of strong union density -- combines with welfare state policy to
reduce poverty. While the welfare state is an essential determinant of
poverty, left political institutions are critical to understanding
comparative historical variation in both the strength of welfare states and
level of poverty among the population.
      During the federal minority government in 2005, the NDP held the
balance of power. During the Spring 2005 budget negotiations, the NDP
offered its support for the minority Liberal government in return for
significant added spending for childcare, social housing, and public
transportation. This resulted in the suspension of planned tax reductions
to the corporate sector and additional social spending. This is an example
of left influence upon poverty-related public policy.

Brady, D. (2003). The politics of poverty: Left political institutions, the
welfare state, and poverty. Social Forces, 82, 557-588.
Rainwater, L., & Smeeding, T. M. (2003). Poor Kids in a Rich Country:
America's Children in Comparative Perspective. New York: Russell Sage
Foundation.

 see also

Alesina, A., & Glaeser, E. L. (2004). Fighting Poverty in the US and
Europe: A World of Difference. Toronto: Oxford University Press.

Carlos Quinonez <[log in to unmask]>@YORKU.CA> on 15/03/2007
09:39:49 AM

Please respond to Social Determinants of Health <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by:    Social Determinants of Health <[log in to unmask]>