SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
John Courtneidge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:26:01 -0400
Dear friends

Marlene Rivier wrote:

> I for one am not impressed by Premier McGuinty's attempt to get out in
> front on this issue which is really resonating with the public.  The
> $10 minimum wage campaign is a result of NDP MPP Cheri DiNovo's
> private members bill which calls for a $10 minimum wage NOW.  Anything
> less means that despite working full time the worker's income remains
> below the poverty line!  Getting a job is suppose to get you out of
> poverty in this country!
>
> Premier McGuinty took only 8 days before Christmas to give himself
> a raise of $40,000.  How can he ask the poorest workers in the
> province to wait until  2010 to reach $10 an hour and where will the
> poverty line be then?  It will take those workers 2 1/2 years to earn
> the equivalent of his raise.  Shame on him!
> Marlene Rivier

Nor I !

Of course - to get, even, the Minimum Wage you need a job (that need
word again!) - but the system is rigged so that a proportion of the
'employable' work-force are kept in a state of unemployment.

This is the little-discussed concept of NAIRU (or NIARU):

 From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAIRU

"The term *NAIRU* is an acronym <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym>
for *N*on-*A*ccelerating *I*nflation
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation> *R*ate of *U*nemployment
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment>. It is a concept in economic
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics> theory significant in the
interplay of macroeconomics
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroeconomics> and microeconomics
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microeconomics>. This "full employment
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_employment>" unemployment rate is
sometimes termed the "natural rate of unemployment" or the
"inflation-threshold unemployment rate": if actual unemployment falls
below the NAIRU, the inflation rate is likely to rise quickly
(accelerate). In terms of output, the NAIRU corresponds to potential
output <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_output>, the highest
level of real gross domestic product
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_domestic_product> that can be
sustained at any one time. This is also called the "natural gross
domestic product
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gross_domestic_product>."

There are some literature and web references to an equivalent term and
acronym "non-inflation-accelerating rate of unemployment" - *NIARU*."

More-over, the system is also rigged so that 'Unemployment' 'Benefit' is
now essentially un-obtainable - the ''Hours eligibility rule'.

Accordingly, unemployed people (those without income from unearned
sources - rent, interest, dividends) are forced (literally immiserated)
to use their 'credit' cards - 'usury handcuffs' - as personalized forms
of (anti-)social security. Grrr!

Hence the title-line questions.

Love 2(u) all

john

BTW - the Number one request from respondents of the recent National
Council on Welfare Report was a Guaranteed Living Income for all  (And I
thought that it was only me!) - I'll forward a recent posting with
links, on that.

xo