SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Diana Liw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 06:49:52 -0700
This is really an old and reoccurring discussion.  This happens in almost every single listserv that I subscribe to.  But I always feel the need to respond to this type of comments, so that our voices don't get lost because of this.  I am not sure why this is coming up again after a month later.

I agree with both your comments.  As for having a disagreeable voice, if we are not willing to hear them, or think that they are the "outsider" trying to destroy unity, then my concern is that we will never make progress.  We will become too comfortable and complacent with our friendly little niche, because we ALL agree.  We shouldn't all agree.  It's the voices from the other side that helps to shape our arguments.

I also think that we are all adults.  And therefore, should all be respectful to each other.  At the same time, we should all recognize that we are all passionate about what we do and our point of views.  Sometimes, emotion get in the way.  We should be strong and mature enough to take hits just the same as to accept compliments from each other.

>>> Carrie Brown <[log in to unmask]> 03/14/07 3:24 PM >>>
I'm disappointed at what I am reading.  How can we expect to create
change if we can't even treat each other respectfully.  Come on, we're
all on the same side, if we start picking each other off we won't have
anyone left to present a consolidated effort.  These kind of personal
attacks are as much of an injustice as the system that we are battling.

And I thought the purpose of this venue was for healthy debate, to
prevoke thought and challenge our thinking, not to alienate one another.