SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Jeff Denis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:29:40 -0500
One of the first was the Wellesley Hospital Health Bus in Toronto - now operated
by the Sherbourne Health Centre.

"Donated by the Rotary Club, this mobile health unit visited shelters and
community centres each week to deliver health care to the homeless,
under-housed and others facing barriers to traditional care settings. Nurses
and volunteers on the Bus provided health education, referrals, condoms, clean
needles, blankets, clothing and hygienic products. A Community Advisory Panel,
which included both users and representatives of community agencies, helped
design and implement the Bus's activities."

P. 91 in Survival Strategies: The Life, Death and Renaissance of a Canadian
Teaching Hospital, edited by D. Goyette, D.W. Magill, and J. Denis, Canadian
Scholars' Press, 2006.

Jeff