SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Ketan Shankardass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:48:47 -0400
> among those who have no interest in doing anything about poverty, it provides an excuse for exclusing these people and marhginalizing them even more.

I agree but, on balance, I think this sort of evidence represent a baby step in the right direction. From the perspective that poverty is a political issue (meaning, that it could potentially be elminated if there was political will), I think parts of the general public may still rationalize inaction on the basis of arguments like, "people in poverty deserve to be where they are because it was their own actions that put them there".  This sort of evidence breaks down that rationale because children are still innocent and defenseless to most people, and it's arguably society that creates chronically stressful lives for the poor, not "poor parents" (the study tested whether measures of parenting or maternal stress could explain their findings).

Ketan.