SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Ketan Shankardass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:14:57 -0400
> thus, the argument may go, we don’t need to worry about health
inequities,
> substandard housing, and violence in communities, because we can
develop
> biomedical techniques to “correct” for the neural pathways that
produce
> later-life problems.

That is scary!  And in a weird way, it reminded me of the absurdity of a
good Monty Python sketch, like the one about the bankers having a
hostile takeover, pirate-style.

> To the extent, however, that these kinds of studies simply reinforce
deeply-
> rooted tendencies in Western culture (and American culture in
particular) to
> reduce complex social problems to molecular exchanges, they have a
very great
> potential to do more harm than good.

Important point taken.

>>> "Goldberg, Daniel" <[log in to unmask]> 04/17/09 1:57 PM >>>
Particularly since some of my work relates to neuroethics (the ethical
implications of neuroscience and neuroimaging techniques), I share both
Ketan's enthusiasm and Dennis's concern.  One the on hand, some of these
findings provide a compelling explanatory mechanism for causation that
coincide
nicely with much of the seminal work in the SDOH literature related to
the pathways in which socioeconomic conditions affect the neuroendocrine
system, which in turn produces cascades that implicate all manner of
chronic illness.  Moreover, these pathways operate on the molecular
level, which
provides a rhetoric that may be convincing to those otherwise
disinclined to think broadly about the effects of social and economic
conditions on health.  I have personally found that some of these
theories are practically important in explaining to stakeholders the
profound differences between
health and health care, and the importance of primordial prevention, as
compared to preventive medicine.

On the other hand, there is an enormous tendency within contemporary
neuroscience to engage in biological and scientific reductionism.  It is
difficult to relate just how strenuously I object to the efforts to
reduce complex and nonlinear social phenomena to brain states.  The
reductionist impulse
within Western biomedicine and science seeks always to find technical
resolutions to all problems; thus, the argument may go, we don't need to
worry about health inequities, substandard housing, and violence in
communities, because we can develop biomedical techniques to "correct"
for the neural
pathways that produce later-life problems.  (Of course, this latter is
currently science fiction, but I am criticizing the tendency and the $$
that will surely be allocated to the effort).  Insofar as these kinds of
studies provide one possible causal mechanism for the ways in which
social
determinants produce or impede population health, that is all to the
good, especially if these matters help convince stakeholders of the need
to attend to social policy as a means of improving health.  To the
extent, however, that these kinds of studies simply reinforce
deeply-rooted tendencies in
Western culture (and American culture in particular) to reduce complex
social problems to molecular exchanges, they have a very great potential
to do more harm than good.

Daniel S. Goldberg, J.D., Ph.D(c)

Health Policy & Ethics Fellow

Chronic Disease Prevention & Control Research Center

Department of Medicine

Baylor College of Medicine

1709 Dryden, Suite 1025

Houston, TX 77030