CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Nadia Hamel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:47:12 -0400

Nadia

Nadia Hamel inf/RN, PhD(c)

Candidate au doctorat en santé des populations / Associée de recherche

Population Health PhD Candidate / Research Associate

 <http://www.iph.uottawa.ca/English/global_health.htm> Centre for Global
Health, Université d'Ottawa

1 rue Stewart street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5

P Avant d' imprimer, pensez-y... Est-ce vraiment nécessaire? Think about it
before printing... Is it really needed ?

  _____

Dear friend,

Click here to tell the World Bank board to sack Paul Wolfowitz.

We will send the petition to the global media and the the World Bank board
as soon as we reach 50,000 signatures--and we'll send it again every time we
add another 50,000. A huge response could focus the world's attention and
end Wolfowitz's career at the World Bank.

Take Action Now <http://www.avaaz.org/en/sack_wolfowitz/?cl=7324411>

On Friday, Paul Wolfowitz -- President Bush's key architect of the Iraq war,
now president of the World Bank and self-styled fighter of corruption -- was
caught red-handed in a corruption scandal of his own. He pushed a huge pay
raise for his girlfriend, and hid the facts from his organization and the
world.

He's got to go.

The World Bank's board, made up of our governments from around the world, is
now deciding whether Wolfowitz should keep his job. An immediate, massive,
and global outcry could make the difference. Our petition is three words
long: "Sack Paul Wolfowitz." Sign it here:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/sack_wolfowitz/?cl=7324411

When Paul Wolfowitz was a top official in President Bush's Department of
Defense, he was one of the Iraq war's biggest backers. When the war became a
fiasco, instead of firing Wolfowitz, Bush gave him a promotion--to president
of the World Bank. At the Bank, he vowed to make corruption his top
issue--but alienated the world by delaying aid packages to India, Kenya, and
other countries without consulting the bank's Executive Board.

Now we've learned that he didn't practice what he preached.

Wolfowitz's girlfriend was a senior World Bank employee. When he became
president, the Bank's ethics rules would not allow him to keep her on staff
under his supervision. So he transferred her to the US State Department--but
kept her on the Bank's payroll, and gave her a US$60,000 pay raise. Her
salary rose to US$193,590, higher than Condi Rice's. What's more, it appears
that Wolfowitz hid the evidence of what he'd done.

Fighting corruption is a key to ending poverty. But there can't be one
standard for the rich and powerful and a different one for everybody else.

The 24-member board of the World Bank, which uncovered Wolfowitz's
corruption through a special investigation, is now deciding his fate. Bush
is likely pulling strings to help Wolfowitz keep his job. It's time for
global public opinion to weigh in--which means it's all up to you.

Click here now to sign the petition, and then send this email to ten
friends:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/sack_wolfowitz/?cl=7324411

Wolfowitz claimed the Iraq war would spread democracy, but it sparked a
civil war. He promised to fight corruption, but engaged in it himself.

He talks a lot about accountability. It's time to bring some accountability
to Paul Wolfowitz.

With hope,

Ben, Ricken, Hannah, Galit, Lee-Sean, Tom, and the rest of the Avaaz team.

Do not hit reply to this email to unsubscribe.
<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=7324411&[log in to unmask]
&b=91<=en> Please click on this link to unsubscribe from all future
<https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=modify<=en>  mailings.

Access CANCHID archives at: https://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/canchid.html