From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:46:42 -0400
Last Friday June 15th issue of the Ontario Health Promotion E-mail
Bulletin (OHPE) features a reflection on last week's IUHPE conference
and the state of health promotion and knowledge mobilization from Peter
Levesque, principal advisor of an Ottawa-based Knowledge Mobilization
Consultancy. As I had just returned from the IUHPE conference with mixed
emotions about the wide diversity of participants and content poorly
treated by a disorganized event - I was excited to see Peter Levesque's
very thoughtful commentary on the world conference.  I had attended the
sessions that he presented in, on New Technologies for Health Promotion,
and earlier in the Debate and Dialogue session on Knowledge Translation
which he writes about in this piece published a few days later.

Peter highlights a common issue for many of us in health promotion -
the gap between what we *know* and what we *do*.

He comments that:
"IUHPE has gathered together bright minds and good hearts--people
concerned about their communities, societies, humanity and the
environments that we all live in--seeking better ways of coping with the
problems faced by people and their families...
Yet it is rare to meet those in authority with their sleeves rolled up,
with dirt under their nails, pushing hard to implement and utilize this
knowledge in the places where the impact is most needed.

This tension is perhaps a dynamic one, an indicator that a change or
breakthrough is on the horizon.

... "Where are the community members? Where's the citizen engagement?"
...  despite all the knowledge that has been generated in universities,
governments, communities, foundations, and multiple other places of our
society, we seem unable--if not unwilling--to put the same effort into
using what we know."
---------

Read the whole article, check out the resources and let's start the
conversation on turning learning and knowledge into action.
"Closing the Knowledge to Action Gap: Is Health Promotion and Health
Education on the Verge of a Breakthrough?"
http://www.ohpe.ca/ebulletin/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8
690&Itemid=78
[if that link is too long - go to http://www.ohpe.ca and click on 'Read
More' under the short intro to the article, and just above "About OHPE"]

Your comments are welcome here - on the CLICK4HP listserv
[log in to unmask] - and as a letter to the OHPE editor at [log in to unmask]

Alison

Alison Stirling,
Health Promotion Knowledge Coordinator,
The Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse,
180 Dundas Street W., Suite 1900
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z8
Direct: 416-408-6918 or 416-408-2249 x 2227
Toll-free (in Ontario)  1-800-397-9567 x2227
Email: [log in to unmask]  or [log in to unmask]
www.opc.on.ca