From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:22:11 -0400
Today and tomorrow are the last days people can order through the WISE website our acclaimed
book "Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the front." Effective April 2nd, our
website and email accounts will be no more.

When I sent the plea on Mar 26th asking list subscribers to help WISE sell its remaining copies,
we had 98 books left. We received several orders, about half of which have been paid and have
already been shipped. Our inventory currently stands at 89.

Please help us sell the remaining books by passing word along your network.

The book sells for $25, plus shipping and handling.

----------------
Please help us end WISE's existence in a positive way. The money from book sales will go to the
WISE women who have worked so hard, for so long, and for so very little money; and the book
will inform and enlighten you - and others with whom you may share it - in a way that most
(including myself) would never have thought possible.

SOME COMMENTS FROM READERS:
* On my way to work this morning, I tried to think of words to express simply the tumble of
emotions, concerns, guilts, etc. that the stories evoked in me. And the admiration, the humility -
for would I be so resourceful, so grittily determined if I had been faced with such adversity and
stumbled, and stumbled, and stumbled? Before reading this, I would have said I grew up poor.
But I don't know the meaning of the word! And then the hope and excitement expressed in
phase two. This is a tremendously powerful work. All of those involved have created something
that will affect every reader profoundly to the core. That's where the change will start. --Aly
Stubbs, Executive Director, Vancouver Island Providence Community Association, Duncan BC,
Canada.
* The strength of this powerful book is that it is not "about" women in poverty. It's women
speaking for themselves. Another thing the book does is give an insider's view of what it's like to
deal with the various agencies and bureaucracies established to serve people in poverty. There
are a few bright spots in the maze, but mostly it's a grim picture. The overall impression is of
strength and gritty determination in spite of impossible situations - a testament to the human
spirit. --Cathryn Wellner, Food & Health Project Manager, Interior Health Authority, Kelowna BC,
Canada.
* There is simply nothing that compares to the 'lived experience'... I am terribly impressed. --
Sandi Pniauskas, cancer survivors/caregivers advocate, Whitby ON, Canada.
* I read your book over the weekend and it moved me deeply... I wish I were still teaching
sociology - I would assign this book. It tells women's stories in ways that no one can ignore and
it drives home the major features of vulnerable women's lives. You have done the best kind of
qualitative research. --May Partridge, Victoria BC, Canada.
* I thought the book brilliant. The subject matter is not easy, but you must be so very proud.
Thank you. --Lianne Fisher, Psychology, Brock University, St. Catharines ON, Canada.
* Shows so clearly the connection between health and social and economic inclusion. --Monika
Merkes, PhD, Senior Social Planning and Policy Officer, Darebin City Council, Australia.

Chrystal Ocean, Coordinator
Wellbeing through Inclusion Socially & Economically
http://www.wise-bc.org/