SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Patricia Paton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:42:22 -0600
Greta, please also don't dismiss the idea of - if not a co-operative world right away - at least more co-operative ways to do business.  The Atlantic region has a strong history of co-operative businesses, credit unions and caisse populaire, coop stores, agricultural and fishing coops and of course the historical side with M. Coady.  In fact, Co-op Atlantic I know in the recent past was actually doing some of their own sourcing for the grocery stores with co-ops in Americas and possibly Caribbean as they could not find a broker who would handle for them (this is a bit fuzzy for me as it was probably 8 or so years ago I heard this).  Just because Irving and McCain are big doesn't mean they're the only game in town.  It also helps to dig a bit as some co-ops (especially in the US) don't advertise they are co-ops as it would hurt their market share (I don't know if this is reality or perception).

Trish