SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Ann Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:36:17 +0100
Dear Linda
thankyou so much for all this
best wishes
Ann

Ann K Allen
MSc. MA (Soc. Sc.), MEd., MA, PGCertLTHE., FHEA, FFPH
Director, MPH
Department of Primary Care and Public Health
Wales College of Medicine, Biology, Health and Life Sciences
Cardiff University,
Neuadd Merionnydd
Heath Park
Cardiff CF14 4YS

tel: 029 206 87262
fax:029 206 87236

>>> Linda Green <[log in to unmask]> 10/08/07 13:07 >>>
In developing feminist criticism in my area of interest, I would certainly
draw from and build on works such as those indicated by the links below.
This short list is mostly Canadian but not exclusively so. It is not
intended to be a comprehensive list so if those online are so inclined, I
suggest augmenting it.
These are all working links as of today:
Raphael and Bryant
http://heapro.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/17/2/189

Orsini and Orsini et al.
http://www.socialsciences.uottawa.ca/prof/cv/morsini.pdf

Cohen
http://www.ajph.org/cgi/reprint/96/9/1574.pdf

Coburn, Denny, Mykhalovskiy, McDonough, Robertson, and Love
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1447750&blobtype=pdf

Labonte, Polanyi, Muhaharine, McIntosh, & Williams
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/routledg/ccph/2005/00000015/00000001/art00002

Boyce
http://heapro.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/17/1/61

Pederson, ONeill, & Rootman
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/310/6988/1212

Navarro, Ed.
http://www.baywood.com/books/previewbook.asp?id=0-89503-296-1

If we're talking political determinants, here's something fairly new and
Canadian. I'd like to read a discussion of the linkages between Miriam
Smith's analysis and the ascendancy of the population health approach.

Smith
http://www.broadviewpress.com/bvbooks.asp?BookID=712
The Gender and Health files that I received earlier this week and offered
to forward were sent to me by Ken MacLeroy, Professor Social and
Behavioral Health in the School of Rural Public Health in Texas (who
consented to being named). Thanks Ken, for the time you dedicated to
forwarding this material from your archives. I have had 28 requests to
date for the material.
Given that Ken MacLeroy is located in the US and some of those asking for
the material are in Canada or in other countries around the world, and
given that I don't know whether Gender and Health is an area of
concentration for those who asked for the files, I thought I should
augment the collection with some selected works by Canadian feminist
researchers/ from Cdn women's health organizations. There are lots of gaps
to be sure. The full scope of the literature is not reflected and I am
unsure how much of the material will be new to anyone whose area of
concentration is Gender and Health.
My question about feminist criticism of the population health approach
originates in my research, where I must address the negative impact of the
population health approach on feminist services/supports in the area of
violence against women. The fact that social issues are including violence
against women have been netted by epidemiology and forcibly moved out of
the social sector into the health sector is of concern. Feminist
antiviolence work is gradually being overshadowed, marginalized, and
displaced as the way is cleared for the advance of population health
approaches. Two years ago I wrote to the sdoh list in relation to this
about concerns about the impact on civil society.
Thanks to Tom C for introducing me to a FREE file transfer program called
Pando. If listmembers ever decide they want to do massive file transfers,
Pando is an excellent tool.
Linda

Linda Green
University of Toronto