From:
Roxanne Felix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:30:05 -0600
Hello Everyone:

There is a group of us in Alberta who would like to take action on the
refugee transportation loan (please see description below). I am interested
to hear if there are any other public health / health promotion groups
taking action or doing activity in this area?

Thanks,

Roxanne

For humanitarian purposes, Canada sponsors a small number of refugees each
year who come from devastated countries where there has been severe loss
through war, natural disaster or persecution for the people there.

However, there is a policy that requires that government-sponsored refugees
pay for their medical exam and their travel to Canada. Since most refugees
can't afford these expenses, Canada offers them a loan that must be repaid
with interest. As a result, refugee families start their new life in Canada
with a debt of up to $10, 000.

The burden of the transportation loans is having a painful impact on
thousands of refugees and on Canadian society.  It undermines refugees'
ability to integrate and to contribute to their full potential in their new
home.  These limitations, coupled with a fear of losing their status in
Canada, force refugee families to make decisions that compromise their
quality of life and health.

*       Teenagers struggle to keep up with their studies while working to
contribute towards loan payments

*       Refugees postpone upgrading their language and employment skills
while working at low-end jobs to meet the monthly loan payments

*       Parents working multiple jobs to meet loan payments are hardly at
home and cannot give children the support they need

*       Refugee families making loan repayments may not have enough money
for basic living costs, including food and appropriate housing

*       Refugees struggling with the trauma of past persecution, exile, and
the stress of adapting to a new country are vulnerable to feelings of acute
anxiety over the debt burden

The cost to the federal government of absorbing the medical and
transportation expenses would be insignificant in terms of the overall
budget.  It would also be a good investment as it would enable refugees to
integrate much more quickly and contribute to the economy.

I'm sure those who have designed the transportation loan to be paid back had
either maybe good intentions or had a purpose for it. But seeing the effect
that the flight loan has brought over the people, they should try to stop it
and try to plan again.

It's a really big problem for me that I have to pay it back. If there was no
loan, I would have more money to buy food or other necessary things.

We're happy that the government brought us here and provided opportunities.
... It's not that we don't want to pay it back, it's that we can't pay it
back.

Members of refugee communities in Alberta