Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:05:21 -0500
From:
Alan Gribben <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Dear Michael,

Twain's most famous account of being lost in a hotel room occurs in Chapter 8 of A TRAMP ABROAD (1880), but the exact quotation the teacher wants does not appear there.  However, the passage is still very amusing:  "I rose up and made staight for the door,--as I supposed,--and suddenly confronted my dim spectral image in the unbroken mirror.  It startled the breath out of me, for an instant; it also showed me that I was lost, and had no sort of idea where I was."

Regards,
Alan
Alan Gribben