From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:38:20 EDT
dear listers...

While at the MTP last week I came across a note in one of the financial
files I was working on that listed a 100 page 19 cm Sam's unsigned cash
book,
dated 28 Nov 1856 to 2 Jan 1883, at the Berg Collection, NY Public Library.
confirmed its existence on the NYPL website, but there is no further
information there given, and I have not see any citations elsewhere
concerning  this
document. Since it may contain dates, places, expenditures, etc., I am very
interested in it. I cannot, however, travel to NY prior to the planned
November
publication of volume 1 of _Mark Twain Day by Day_ 1835-1885.

Has anyone seen this document or have some idea of its contents? MTP does
not have a copy of it. Or, does anyone have access to the Berg Collection
there
and can view it for me? Thanks.

Volume 1 is now at 1175 pages; the first section through 1856 plus a few
pages from 1880 and the tentative index, works cited (already updated from
what
will appear) are being printed this week to appear in the _Mark Twain
Journal_, thanks to Tom Tenney, who doesn't want me to refer to him as
"Doctor
Tenney." I believe this issue of the MTJ will be 81 pages. He chose to
include  the
index and works cited to give readers some idea of the scope of this  work.

If you have in your files, some documented events or information for the
period through 1885, information not in the letters, standard works or
financial
documents at the MTP, I would appreciate your help and will cite/acknowledge
you  as erudite, truthful and totally American.

Thanks,
David H Fears
Mark Twain Day By Day