From:
"C.J. Peiffer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 03:22:06 -0400

I attended my first conference on Mark Twain Studies in Elmira in 1997. I didn’t know what to expect and admit I felt rather intimidated meeting the authors or editors of many of the books that lined my home shelves.

I am not a professional Twain scholar, just an amateur one. I’m not a college professor either. At that time I had been teaching in public schools for 28 years, but I taught art, not literature.  The closest I ever came to being part of an English department was teaching English as a foreign language in the Peace Corps (Brazil.)

I attended the 1997 conference alone ---no friend or spouse accompanying me. It seemed like everyone else knew each other, and I felt like an outcast.  The one person who seemed willing to seriously discuss my lifelong interest in Twain was Joe McCullough from UNLV. (Thank you, Joe, for making me feel welcome.)

But what a difference four years made. At the 2001 conference, there were many like me, those with special interests in Twain, but not necessarily in the academic arena. Among the dozen or so non-professors, was Warren Brown, a Twain impersonator. Terrell Dempsey, a lawyer from Hannibal, presented a paper on his research into slavery in young Sam Clemens’ world. Henry Feldman entertained us with his collection of Twain postcards. It gave me hope that I might, some day, present an expanded version of a research paper I wrote as a graduate student in journalism. (Maybe that will be ready for the 2025 conference.)

By 2004. I was much more comfortable in Elmira. Perhaps it was that I had made a few friends in 2001. Or perhaps the third time around, the academic types realized I am as serious about Twain as they are.

I’ve been looking forward to 2009 since the 2004 conference ended.

=======================

'I still have an insane drive to create and express myself and it'll
never stop because I don't know how to stop it.' ---quotation by Graham
Nash

Pro Artz
art & writing services

To see examples of C.J. Peiffer’s art work:

http://www.proartz.zoomshare.com

or

http://www.zazzle.com/Pro_Artz

or

or
art  work can be purchased (print only, matted print, or framed) directly from the artist by replying to this email address