From:
Gretchen Sharlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:27:49 -0400
More on the Twain Name Game:

In the Elmira College Archive, there is a small pen and ink portrait of Mark
Twain. It was probably a birthday gift to Susan Crane from her famous
brother-in-law.  It is inscribed, " to the Lady Beloved, Susie Crane, from
the Holy Sam'l."  "Mr. Clemens," as she often addressed him in
correspondence, referred to his sister-in-law Susan, as "Saint Sue."  And
often she called him "Holy Sam'l."