From:
"Brent M. Colley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:01:22 -0500
Reporters and readers are free to love or hate this Autobiography but
the recent press out of NY is vexing when you consider the assets that
NY has to promote.

This is Volume 1 of 3 and to get to this point it has been a lot of
work on the part of MTP. The bulk of Volume 1 explains how this
Autobiography came to be, and it is an impressive story... we're
taking about a 40+ year project. Not to mention- There is an amazing
exhibit at the Morgan Library and Museum that showcases the
collections of not one but two NYC tourist attractions and yet they
(the press) continue to focus on the negatives. Loop in all that NY
State has to offer and one has to ask "why?" Why the negative press
from the NY Times and the New Yorker?

We have a good 9 years to promote Twain and the
sites/libraries/museums/people that relate to his time in the
Tri-State area... why is that so hard to grasp?

Quoting James E Caron <[log in to unmask]>:

> I can't agree that Keillor was "scathing" in his review, but any
one =
> might feel disappointed, depending on expectations.
>
> I thought he had it mostly right.
>
> There will be many folks this Christmas who will be given this
volume, =
> and it will go right onto their shelves in a conspicuous spot,
without =
> much more than a skimming sort of read, because they too had =
> expectations. =20
>
> The skimming will not even have to look for the reference to
Paige's =
> testicles caught in a vise, since Keillor cites it.  I wonder how
many =
> people bought the book because they think that there will be lots
of =
> similar passages in a volume supposedly suppressed for 100 years?
>
> Such is the way of the world, with the trail of the serpent over
all.

Mr
> Keillor is a reader of the New Yorker and has taken his clues from
> therein.  As Twain says, "...the latest review of a book was pretty
much
> to be just a reflection of the earliest review of it; ".
>
> For myself, I enjoy what amounts to the character development (of
Mark

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/books/review/Keillor-t.html?pagewanted=3D=