From:
Mike Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:24:25 -0700
My two cents from 1907: Wow. There's much good writing and profoundness in this book review.

The squeaky wheel:  in Twain's "Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven, grief and the after-life are treated with tenderness and logic.

From the review, the  following passage has puzzled me:

>"Twain's strongest comment hinting at the possibility of an afterlife came
> in 1889, the year Winny died, when he wrote to Livy "I don't know anything
> about the hereafter, but I am not afraid of it" (130), but he steadily
> moved away from any such belief thereafter."

Twain wrote his story of heaven (Stormfield) before 1889;  Twain allowed it to be published long after 1889, without revising it or adding cynical comments as far as I could detect.