From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:46:24 -0400
When I sent my initial plea on Mar 26th asking list subscribers to help WISE sell its remaining
books, we had 98 copies left. The book inventory on Mar 31st, when I posted my first update,
was 89.

The inventory now stands at 28.

THANK YOU to all those subscribers who helped make that big drop happen.

Now I make this final plea to everyone to help us reduce our inventory to zero by passing word
along your network.

WISE's book sells for $25, plus shipping and handling. (The S & H charge for orders of 2 to 5
books is the same.)

Since the WISE website is now down, new orders should be made through my personal website.

TO PLACE ORDERS:
* Visit http://members.shaw.ca/chrystal_ocean/
* Book orders made through my website are treated as orders for WISE. In other words, all
monies received for book orders, regardless of how they come in, are continuing to go into the
WISE financial account.

PAYMENTS:
* Prior to the deactivation of our domain, the primary email address for the WISE PayPal account
was [log in to unmask] Obviously, we can no longer use that and so are now using
[log in to unmask] (one of my personal addresses) for the WISE PayPal account.
* As before, cheque payments should be made payable to 'WISE'.

From my March 26th post:
----------------
Please help us end WISE's existence in a positive way. The money from book sales will go to the
WISE women who have worked so hard, for so long, and for so very little money; and the book
will inform and enlighten you - and others with whom you may share it - in a way that most
(including myself) would never have thought possible.

SOME COMMENTS FROM READERS:
* On my way to work this morning, I tried to think of words to express simply the tumble of
emotions, concerns, guilts, etc. that the stories evoked in me. And the admiration, the humility -
for would I be so resourceful, so grittily determined if I had been faced with such adversity and
stumbled, and stumbled, and stumbled? Before reading this, I would have said I grew up poor.
But I don't know the meaning of the word! And then the hope and excitement expressed in
phase two. This is a tremendously powerful work. All of those involved have created something
that will affect every reader profoundly to the core. That's where the change will start. --Aly
Stubbs, Executive Director, Vancouver Island Providence Community Association, Duncan BC,
Canada.
* The strength of this powerful book is that it is not "about" women in poverty. It's women
speaking for themselves. Another thing the book does is give an insider's view of what it's like to
deal with the various agencies and bureaucracies established to serve people in poverty. There
are a few bright spots in the maze, but mostly it's a grim picture. The overall impression is of
strength and gritty determination in spite of impossible situations - a testament to the human
spirit. --Cathryn Wellner, Food & Health Project Manager, Interior Health Authority, Kelowna BC,
Canada.
* There is simply nothing that compares to the 'lived experience'... I am terribly impressed. --
Sandi Pniauskas, cancer survivors/caregivers advocate, Whitby ON, Canada.
* I read your book over the weekend and it moved me deeply... I wish I were still teaching
sociology - I would assign this book. It tells women's stories in ways that no one can ignore and
it drives home the major features of vulnerable women's lives. You have done the best kind of
qualitative research. --May Partridge, Victoria BC, Canada.
* I thought the book brilliant. The subject matter is not easy, but you must be so very proud.
Thank you. --Lianne Fisher, Psychology, Brock University, St. Catharines ON, Canada.
* Shows so clearly the connection between health and social and economic inclusion. --Monika
Merkes, PhD, Senior Social Planning and Policy Officer, Darebin City Council, Australia.

Chrystal Ocean
http://members.shaw.ca/chrystal_ocean/