From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 17:56:47 -0400
From my blog, just added:

------
I filled out a survey yesterday on community meaning. Along with questions about the
participants' understanding of various concepts, including belonging, home and community, was
this question, the last one:

"When do you most feel a sense of community?"

Don't remember my exact response, but it was along the lines of:

"There was only one time in my life that I felt a sense of community. It was not long after my 14th
birthday and lasted for 11 months. It occurred in a place I still pine for, a place where I could, for
the first time, be who I was. It was the only place where I could express anger or hurt, and cry
openly, without fear of leaving myself open to harm for doing so."

I took a walk after completing that survey and began reflecting on my answers. I soon realized
that underlying my sense of the meaning of belonging, home and community was a single,
uncomplicated concept: acceptance...
------

The post goes on to discuss the way persons are treated who have been labelled mentally ill or are
presumed to be mentally ill simply because they act differently.

Ocean

Podcast Channel: http://bcseawalker.podbean.com/
Personal Blog: http://challengingthecommonplace.blogspot.com/