SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2008 13:06:10 -0700
I agree with Lauri's emphasis on civic engagement rather than
community participation.

In a recent blog post, I made the following point: "Most low-income
groups realize that electoral and democratic reform must be our top
priority - so that WE get to have our say, and are enabled to
participate more in decision-making and influence the political
process."

When I was Coordinator of WISE, our NUMBER ONE goal was democratic and
electoral reform. It wasn't affordable housing, more shelters, or more
money for food banks.

Until everyone truly is enabled to influence his/her political
environment, nothing substantive will change. The powers-that-be will
still have control and THEIR priorities will prevail, not those of the
people. In the meantime, those of us who know better will continue
spinning our wheels and preaching to the converted. The latter may be
self-validating, but it gets us nowhere.

Ocean

--
WISE Book - Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the front
Podcast Channel: http://bcseawalker.podbean.com/