From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:31:36 -0400
The following message was sent by Debbie Bang to the Click4HP list, but may
not have been readable to all subscribers as it came through as an
attachment.  Several readers contacted me asking for clarification. I have
copied the text of the message here for everyone.  As Deb Bang and I have
similar email systems using Microsoft Outlook, the problem may be with an
incompatibility between email systems - as was experienced with "blank"
messages from me about a month ago.  Deb makes some very good points, and I
am glad to see the on Click4HP in response to the earlier query by Tom
Walker.

And by the way, the publisher of the current Health Promotion in Canada,
Fred Conlin, has an email address too - [log in to unmask]

Alison
Alison Stirling, co-facilitator, Click4HP
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]  Internet: http://www.web.net/~stirling/
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Deb Bang wrote:

Tom ... I am having quite a bit of difficulty with your statement, and I
quote
...the magazine would appear to be little more than a drug industry
propaganda
vehicle, presumably receiving Health Canada funding while it "finds it's
feet in
the marketplace". Could this be what is meant by the phrase "health
promotion"?

I have re-looked at my Health Promotion in Canada Vol 34, Issue 4 edition
and noted the following ads:

1. Pharmaceutical Manufactures Association of Canada - content of the ad:
information about a program that they offer to help promote the appropriate
use of medicines. (French and English versions)

2. Astra Pharma Inc.- content of the ad: information about a program that
they offer related to absenteeism. (French and English versions)

3. Health Canada - content of the ad: information about a URL (program) that
they offer to access health promotion information. Bilingual)

4. Roche Canada - content of the ad: information about services / components
of their company. (French and English versions)

As a health promotion practitioner I am very aware of how health promotion
is defined and what it looks like in practice.  I am interested in knowing
what "health promotion" activities the private sector is involved in and how
they are defining health promotion ... and I do not mind taking their money
to find out. The ads are not promoting the use of a certain drug or
treatment nor do I feel complelled to purchase one of their products.  Their
business is to sell drugs, no question.  AND it is well worth their while to
look like good corporate citizens!  But the bottom line is they have money
and we do not!  The ads do not promote activities that are unacceptable to
me as a health promotion practitioner ... I would suggest that the editorial
board is able to accept or reject content for ads ... and the journal and
practitioners benefit as their ads help to reduce our subscription rates and
to ENSURE THAT WE HAVE A VEHICLE TO PROFILE THE HEALTH PROMOTION WORK/
ACTIVITIES / RESEARCH THAT WE ARE DOING IN CANADA!

A journal such as Health Promotion in Canada has been missing for several
years, I for one am glad to have it back.  If it means that I get to read
information that is important to my work ... I am thrilled!  I personally am
quite capable of recognizing propaganda and do not feel I have been lead
down a garden path I didn't want to go just because pharmaceutical companies
are advertising in a Health Promotion journal!

I would be very interested in hearing what others have to say ... Tom, if
you are still interested in contacting the company that produce the journal
... for a back issue article ... (that presumablly will help your with your
work!) ... call (905) 884-2612 or mail to them at Health Promotion in
Canada, 360-A Newkirk Rd., Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 3G7.

Debbie Bang
Coordinator/Researcher
St. Joseph's Community Health Centre
Consumer Health Information Service