Sender:
From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:10:17 -0400
CPHA Response to the Report of the World Health Organization's Commission on the Social Determinants of Health

CPHA congratulates the World Health Organization on the release on August 28, 2008 of the report of the Commission on the Social Determinants of Health.

This report demonstrates that differences in health outcomes are shaped considerably by the broad conditions in which we live and work, and that policies acting on these social determinants of health could effectively reduce health inequalities between and within countries over a relatively short period of time. The work of the Commission makes a compelling case that health is a concern for all, and not just those involved in the health sector.

The Association's response confirms our commitment to a social determinants of health approach to achieve health equity for everyone in Canada and describes a set of activities CPHA will undertake over the next several months to contribute to the achievement of this goal. The CPHA response is posted on the Association's website. The WHO Commission's report and its Executive Summary can also be downloaded through the CPHA website  www.cpha.ca .

We will be seeking input from CPHA members to help us define practical and effective policies, programs and interventions at the federal, provincial/territorial and regional levels that will contribute to the achievement of health equity for all in Canada. We intend to make this a centerpiece of the discussions and deliberations at the 2009 CPHA Annual Conference in Winnipeg.

Please consult the CPHA website for further details as to the process for members to share their ideas and experiences.
____________________________________
Debra Lynkowski
Chief Executive Officer/Chef de la direction
Canadian Public Health Association/
Association canadienne de santé publique

Alison Stirling,
Knowledge Management Developer,
Health Nexus Santé (formerly OPC)
180 Dundas Street W., Suite 1900
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z8
Direct: 416-408-6918 or 416-408-2249 x 2227
Toll-free (in Ontario)  1-800-397-9567 x2227
Email: [log in to unmask]