From:
Linda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:49:05 -0400
Are you kidding?

-----Original Message-----
From: Health Promotion on the Internet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Chrystal Ocean
Sent: August 11, 2008 6:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CLICK4HP] Staples Discriminates Against People Without Phones

Anyone who has ordered anything online is familiar with the requirement to
fill in all form fields which are marked by an asterisk (*). Usually, the
asterisk is highlighted in red, just to make sure we don't miss it.

One of those fields is always for one's phone number, with full area code.
Since this low-income person hasn't a phone, cell or landline, my ornery
response has been to enter 123-456-7890.

Sometimes the auto response doesn't like the three digits I use for the area
code. In such cases, I use 250, which is the area code for my location.

Now my workaround has been stymied by Staples, whose online store I just
visited to order a $139 computer cart. Staples refuses to accept my order
without a legitimate phone number, one which I presume must be mine.

Ergo, Staples is discriminating against their low-income customers who
haven't a phone and other persons who may choose to be without a phone for
other reasons...

Full article: http://tinyurl.com/6fhykb

(I hate the disempowerment this makes me feel and am sick of having always
to think of workarounds for assumption-loaded policies.)

WISE Book - Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the front
Podcast Channel: http://bcseawalker.podbean.com/ Personal Blog: Challenging
the Commonplace - and other irreverent activities
http://challengingthecommonplace.blogspot.com/

To UNSUBSCRIBE send to: [log in to unmask] the following phrase "unsubscribe
click4hp" as unquoted text. To view archives or manage your subscription
(and create a password) go to
http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/click4hp.html