From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:30:14 -0400
Episode 12 of 24. A reading from the book Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the
front. Compiled, with Introduction and Reports by Chrystal Ocean. Copyright 2005.

Kaelyn is a recovering addict who, over the course of the telling of her story, was trying to get away
from her ex-boyfriend, became homeless and was struggling with extreme fatigue which in turn was
impeding her ability to retain employment. The connections among poor nutrition, tenancy legislation
which favours owners, the focus by society and governments on the young and the old, and punitive
welfare policies which both diminish attempts to be independent and effectively discourage clients
from finding work and staying employed are all drawn together in this story.

There are many bits I could quote, but these four short sentences at the very end of Kaelyn’s story
resonate with me the most:

"I’m very proud of my home when I have a home. I make it into a nice place to be. I need to make my
home beautiful. I need a home to make beautiful."

To listen to the podcast, visit the Podcast Channel link below, which includes all podcasts done so far.

WISE Book - Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the front
Podcast Channel: http://bcseawalker.podbean.com/
Personal Blog: Challenging the Commonplace - and other irreverent activities
http://challengingthecommonplace.blogspot.com/