From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2008 20:58:45 -0400
Latest two episodes have been created and uploaded. Both are readings from
the book Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the front.
Compiled, with Introduction and Reports by Chrystal Ocean. Copyright 2005.

Episode 14 - Manon

"I have sat in the privilege of judgement. I invested in the myths that
people on Welfare are losers, drunks, and lazy or useless parents that
abandon their children. I did that right up until I stood with them. There I
was frightened, hungry, tired, and incredibly lost."

The method for this story began as Interview, but as the process continued
to unfold Manon felt compelled to put pen to paper. Writing beautifully, she
manages to convey what it feels like, emotionally and psychology, to be a
lone parent in poverty. As the quote above makes clear, Manon knows the
challenge it can be for people not in poverty to understand and not
stigmatize those who are. She too, like many of us, judged in ignorance.

Episode 13 - Lucy

Lucy’s very powerful story is told with a frankness which is refreshing. As
with Glenna’s story, you’ll find yourself cheering, crying and guffawing all
within a space of a few sentences.

"All these Ministries have their code word du jour, so now they have this
dual diagnosis: depression + diabetes.

"Dual diagnosis is a crock of shit. It’s one thing. Poverty.

"Welfare puts you on such a diet you can’t afford fresh fruits or
vegetables, you can’t afford any high protein. You’re stuck eating Welfare
Diet... That many carbohydrates turn you into a blimp. Well eventually, as a
blimp, you get diabetes and in the process of losing everything that you
are, were, could have been, should have been, used to be, could have had,
should have had, would have had..., you lose yourself."

Click either of the links below to access the podcast channel, the website
where all the podcasts are hosted.

WISE Book - Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the front
Podcast Channel: http://bcseawalker.podbean.com/
Personal Blog: Challenging the Commonplace - and other irreverent activities
http://challengingthecommonplace.blogspot.com/