From:
Michel O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2008 08:48:52 -0500
*** Bonjour tout le monde,

Back again on this old but never solved debate on individual
vs structural HP measures. It pops up regularly on Click4HP and
has led to many lively, and sometimes a bit nasty, debates.
Depending on the beliefs one has about how science is properly done,
you can convincingly argue that one or the other is better, as
we have very good illustrations in our recent book «Health Promotion
in Canada, Critical perspectives» (O'Neill et al. dirs.,
Toronto, CSPI, 2007).

I nevertherless tend to share Glenn's view below that BOTH
are important and that for a specific problem (as the one at
stake here: child obesity) in a specific population in a
specific environement, the intervention mix should be determined
on the basis of a careful analysis of what we know (if we do...)
seems to work, carefully adapted to the context where it occurs.

I also think it is important to recognise that for most health
promoters who work in organizations, despite the structural
and social determinants of heath discourse so prevalent especially
in Canada, the day to day job has to do with intervening properly
on individual lifestyles issues. This can be done in a variety of ways
in which the participative ones have usually shown a better chance of
success
and, as ecologists invite us to think globally and act locally, we can
always invite health promoters caught in the narrow mandates of
their organizations to think structurally when they act individually.
It can help them to figure out better interventions without totally
alienating their work environement, and be supportive in various
ways of what is done by the happy few whose day to day work is
to work structurally. The latter work being obviously more important
than
ever given the global mess in which greed has plunged the planet
and the political mess in which the dominant values system,
coupled to an archaic electoral system, has plunged Canada.

Joyeuses fêtes malgré tout !!!

Michel O'Neill. ***