SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
David Zakus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2008 11:17:54 +0800
HI...have you read the chapter on abortion in the book
"Freakonomics"...it makes for a very interesting read following from
this discussion...b est,
david zakus
On 3-Oct-08, at 10:49 PM, Lynette Reid wrote:

> I think it is important for us to be able to articulate clearly why
> policies
> like this are problematic. When we think about weighing costs in
> healthcare,
> we can lose site of the perspective that spending money to support
> human
> life and, hopefully, flourishing, is basically what economies are for.
>
> Every living human being costs their families and the state (in some
> particular combination for each person) large sums of money at the
> beginning
> of life, and often, at the end. We pay for that person in our tax
> dollars
> when the state is heavily involved in their care; we pay for that
> person in
> the general structure of wages and price of goods (raising Paris
> Hilton cost
> everyone who has stayed in a Hilton hotel a certain amount of
> money), and by
> tax subsidies to families with children, when the family absorbs
> more of the
> cost. Any reality that stands behind the idea that some people "cost
> us"
> money and some don't is highly constructed by our particular economic
> system.
>
> In my view, any policy that encourages certain (kinds of) people not
> to be
> born is a statement that their life is worth less than other lives.
> It's a
> prediction that they won't be net contributors. And a valuation that
> being a
> net economic contributor is what we care about in human life.
>
> I think Melissa is right that such policies are coercive. The idea
> that a
> person's current addicted life situation is a good moment in which
> to make a
> permanent decision about fertility is bizarre. Paying someone to
> make a
> major medical decision at exactly the wrong moment in their life
> sounds
> coercive to me.
>
> -Lynette
>
> -------
> Lynette Reid, PhD
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Bioethics
> Dalhousie University
> 5849 University Ave.
> Halifax NS B3H 4H7
> 902-494-1842
> fax: 902-494-3865

David Zakus, BSc MES MSc PhD
Director, Centre for International Health
Associate Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health
Associate Professor, Department of Health Policy, Management and
Evaulation
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
tel: +1 416-978-1458; fax: +1 416-946-7910
http://intlhealth.med.utoronto.ca
Immediate Past-President, Global Health Education Consortium (GHEC)
www.globalhealth-ec.org