From:
Jacquelyn Gerlach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2006 11:33:08 -0400
Cari,

I would like to suggest that you add Waterloo Region to your list of locations. We are only 1 hour (in traffic) west of Toronto. We are Canada's fourth largest settlement area for newcomers. This a very multicultural community with an unusual characteristic of low degrees of discrimination for aboriginal people, according to the aboriginal community.

The region has a population of 500,000, with three cities and four rural municipalities under one regional government in a rather compact area.

As an American who has lived and travelled through much of Canada in the last 30 years, including residence and work in Toronto and Montreal, I would say this community is even more successful in preventing discrimination than some on your list.

If you are interested, I will be happy to provide you with senior contact names in municipal government, service agencies that provide newcomer support, head offices of some religious communities and aboriginal support agencies.

Jackie
Jackie
Jacquelyn Lochhaas Gerlach
Manager, Family Health