Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:28:06 -0600
Subject:
Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Matthew Klauza <[log in to unmask]>
Hi All,
Long-time reader, first-time writer.

I am trying to find out which work Clemens & Duneka could be referring
to in a correspondance in summer, 1905.

On or around July 20, 1905, Clemens wrote to Frederick Duneka:
"Miss Lyon sent the enclosed crossed-out plagiarism to you...all I want
is, that you shall burn it & print  the enclosed 'Lantern for Sale' in
the Weekly instead." [note, MTP has nothing enclosed with this letter]

To which Duneka replies on July 27th, 1905:
"Your 'Diogenes Lamp' correction reached here in time so that it was
substituted for 'The Honest Man' letter."

Around this time, there is discussion of publishing Twain's "The Honest
Rebel"-- that may be "The Honest Man" letter (?).
But the Lantern/Lamp piece...?

According to Rasmussen (A-Z), the only thing published around this time
was "A Monument to Adam" and "King Leopold's Soliloquy."
And they don't seem to fit (or am I missing something?).

Does anyone have any idea what either man could be referring to?
A story connected to Diogenes or his Lamp?
A plagiarism that arose during this time?
Other published works that I'm overlooking?

I'd appreciate ANY help or direction and will follow any leads.
Thanks,

Matthew D. Klauza
GTA, Department of English
Auburn University