Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:53:41 -0500
7bit
From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
A book I admire is Sue Harris's COURTSHIP OF LIVY AND MT volume-- it is
pretty short and brings Livy alive in multiple important ways.

I think it's safe to say that both Livy and MT had serious character flaws,
along with their many great strengths.  But yes, Livy as the "glue" is
certainly the Victorian standard that they both were aiming for.  Maybe a
better term is "angel in the household."  (Hattie Stowe was right next door,
don't forget).

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Saint Louis University