Sender:
From:
"Harris, Susan Kumin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:23:41 -0600
According to Alan Gribben, Twain wrote a poem responding to Jose Rizal's "My Last Thought." Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Twain's poem?

n.b.: Rizal was a Filipino freedom fighter and author, martyred by the Spanish in 1895.  His most famous work is Nolo Me Tangere. "My Last Thought" was written the night before his execution.  According to Gribben, Twain read a translation of the novel that contains the poem.

Thanks!   --skh

Susan K. Harris
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS