From:
Stanton Nesbit <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:35:19 -0600
I got several chuckles out of Burns' Twain film, several of them probably
intended by the director.

I do wish, however, that the film could have avoided distilling Sam Clemens
and Huck Finn down to the roles of civil rights activists. We should have
expected it, though, since Burns defined baseball and jazz in terms of race,
too. In my opinion, jazz, baseball, and Twain have all managed to transcend
any single issue, no matter how noble.

The only time I truly bristled was during the quote where Huck reflects on
his time with Jim on the river, when Jim called him "honey," etc. I noticed
they left out "and pet me." Afraid of misunderstandings? Honoring political
correctness? Curious omission, whatever the reason.

Stanton Nesbit

---