From:
Twain Center <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:35:44 -0400
Call for Papers
The Sixth International Conference on the State of Mark Twain Studies
Elmira, New York
August 6 - 8, 2009

As we approach the 100th anniversary of Mark Twain's death, we invite
papers related to any aspect of Mark Twain's legacy.  We have a special
interest in papers on the following topics:

Mark Twain and Money
Mark Twain and Contemporary Authors
Mark Twain and Politics:  Then and Now
Mark Twain and Friends -or- Enemies
Mark Twain and other 19th and 20th-century Authors
Mark Twain and the Problems of Influence
Mark Twain and Law
Mark Twain as Cultural Icon:  Use and Abuse
Mark Twain and Modernism
Mark Twain, Realism, and Alternate Realities
Mark Twain and the Americas
Mark Twain and the Child
Mark Twain and the Art of Irreverence
Mark Twain and Modern Asian Cultures
Mark Twain, Clothes, and Costumes
Mark Twain and Gendered Identities
Mark Twain and Regional Identity
Mark Twain and Europe
Mark Twain and Africa
Mark Twain and Talk
Mark Twain and Skin
Mark Twain and Spirituality
Mark Twain and the Business of Writing
Mark Twain and the Image
Mark Twain and Technology
Mark Twain and the State of New York
Mark Twain and Science
Mark Twain and the Politics of Race
Mark Twain and the Grave

Please provide a developed abstract of 700 words.

Developed abstracts will be due Monday, February 2nd, 2009.

Final papers must be suitable for a twenty-minute presentation.

Please send your attached abstract, via electronic submission, to

Provide your name, mailing address, and email address.

Papers will be reviewed anonymously by panel chairs.

Papers submitted to this Conference may be reviewed for publication by
the Center for Mark Twain Studies or in the 2010 Mark Twain Annual.

Complete conference information is available on the web. Google Elmira
2009.