From:
Jennifer Dooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 03:57:24 +0000
Hello all,

As per my previous email, I realized that I cannot send attachments. Here is a brief description of my thesis research:

OVERVIEW OF GRADUATE RESEARCH THESIS

Research Project Title: 	Immediate Effects of Public Service Advertisements aimed at Preventing and Reducing Adolescent Obesity

Investigator: 	Jennifer Dooley

Thesis Supervisors: 	Dr. Carol Adair and Dr. Sameer Desphande

This study will examine the immediate effects of public service ads (PSA) from social marketing campaigns that are intended to prevent adolescent obesity. Effects examined include possible positive (ad evaluation, stated intention to change nutrition and or exercise behavior) and negative effects (body dissatisfaction, negative mood and self-esteem). The findings are intended to help inform the design of future multi-disciplinary interventions that incorporate a social marketing approach for obesity prevention and reduction among adolescent populations.

The first phase of the research, now completed, involved gathering and grouping obesity-relevant print advertisements aimed at adolescents.

The next phases will involve a mixed methods approach to test the PSAs with adolescents aged 13 to 18 years. The second phase will involve two focus groups (one each for five to seven females and males) to discuss the strengths, weaknesses and groupings of the PSAs.  The focus groups will take about 90 minutes.

In the third phase we will pre-test survey instruments, using one-on-one cognitive interviews with five adolescents. Each interview will last for approximately 45 minutes.

The fourth phase is the main experiment. In this part we will randomize approximately 60 adolescents to four PSA categories (a) body-image focused, b) health-message focused, c) non-health message focused, and (d) unrelated advertisements (control condition). The adolescents will complete questionnaires as well as be interviewed one on one before and after viewing PSAs. The main experiment will take approximately 90 minutes
Questionnaires that will be used include: the Body Dissatisfaction Scale (Garner, Olmstead, & Polivy, 1983 ), the State Self-Esteem Scale (Heatherton & Polivy, 1991 ), the Multiple Affect Adjective Check List (Zuckerman & Lubin, 1965, 1985 ), the Exercise: Stages of Change Short Form (Prochaska, 1991 ), a modified version of the Exercise: Stages of Change Short Form relevant to nutrition, and an Ad Evaluation Scale (Kelly et al., 2006 ).

It is predicted that body-image focused messages will be significantly more likely to increase body dissatisfaction, lower self-esteem and induce negative mood in comparison to non body-image focused messages. It is also predicted that non health focused messages will receive more positive ad evaluations and result in more change intentions in comparison to health focused messages.

This research should not be interpreted as a recommendation that print advertising aimed at adolescent obesity should be used in isolation to solve the obesity problem in developed countries. Instead, a multi-component intervention based in social marketing principles, environmental changes, and policy decisions will be needed as an effective solution to the obesity epidemic. However, the current research will shed light on the effects of various types of PSAs (as one important component of a social marketing strategy).

If you have further questions concerning matters related to this research, please contact:

Jennifer Dooley 	Phone 	(403) 614-4091

Thanks,

Jennifer Dooley, MSc Candidate (Thesis)
The University of Alberta

t: 403.614.4091
e: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>