From:
Erin Ottosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:13:03 -0600
APRIL NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

APRIL 2009 ISSUE OF WELLSPRING NOW AVAILABLE: "Strategies to Keep People
Exercising After They Finish a Chronic Condition Exercise Program (CCEP)"

Many health care providers and organizations are now offering chronic
condition exercise programs (CCEPs). And for good reason. Exercise helps
people with chronic health conditions to manage these conditions and improve
their quality of life.

A major issue with CCEPs, however, is that many participants stop exercising
after they complete the program. This WellSpring identifies promising
strategies for how to keep people exercising after they finish a CCEP.

The following topics are covered:
- Chronic condition exercise programs (CCEPs): An overview
- The problem: Exercise drops off after the CCEP ends
- The search for practices to improve exercise maintenance
- Promising practices for exercise counselling
- Other tips for your own CCEP

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/publications/wellspring/2009/apr-chronic-c
ondition-exercise.html

APRIL 24 KAREN LEE PRESENTATION: “Creating Healthier Environments to Address
Physical Inactivity, Obesity and Chronic Diseases”

Dr. Karen Lee’s April 24 presentation is almost here. We’re very excited to
host this special presentation about her work for New York City in reducing
physical inactivity through design guidelines for architecture and other
environmental design features.

We’ve had several questions about alternative delivery formats.
Unfortunately, this event will not be available via video or teleconference.
We’re currently exploring other ways to share this presentation with those
who cannot be there in person, and we’ll let you know as soon as we have the
details.

For more information on Dr. Lee’s presentation, please visit our Events
webpage: http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/events.html

PANELLISTS FOR THE 2009 PHYSICAL ACTIVITY FORUM

We’re pleased to announce the panellists for our 2009 Physical Activity
Forum, “Is Sweat the Best Antidepressant? The Case for Physical Activity as
an Antidote for Depression.”

In Edmonton our panel is:
- Tanya Berry, U of A Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, Alberta
Centre for Active Living
- Beth Evans, Alberta Health Services – Mental Health and Addiction
- Brenda Fischbrook-Benoit, Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital
- Rachel Keaschuk, Stollery Children’s Hospital Pediatric Centre for Weight
and Health
- Emma Rickard, Organization Health Inc.

In Calgary our panel is:
- Bob Acton, Alberta Health Services – Integrated Behavioural Health Care
- Beth Evans, Alberta Health Services – Mental Health and Addiction
- Sonya Jakubec, Mount Royal College School of Nursing
- Allen Rees, Alberta Health Services
- Joyce Sunada, Ever Active Schools

The Forum is in Edmonton on May 26 and in Calgary on May 27. To register and
find out more, visit our Forum webpage.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/physical-activity-forum/2009-mental-h
ealth/index.html

NEW ALBERTA HEALTHY LIVING NETWORK WEBSITE

The Alberta Healthy Living Network (AHLN) launched its redesigned website in
April. This new and improved website features great resources such as best
practice and common message frameworks and videoconference and webinar
presentations on a variety of topics. Check it out: http://www.ahln.ca/

VISIT OUR EVENTS WEBPAGE FOR MORE UPCOMING EVENTS

Visit our Events webpage to find out more about workshops, symposia,
conferences and other events coming up in April, May, and beyond.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/events.html

VISIT OUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY INFORMATION ROUND-UP

Every week the Centre rounds up recent research, resources, and stories in
the media about physical activity. Visit the Round-Up to keep up to date.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/library/roundup/index.html

ABOUT THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

The Alberta Centre for Active Living is affiliated with the University of
Alberta Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation and is supported by the
Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife Foundation and the Government of
Alberta.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/