SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Graeme Bacque <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:28:54 -0400
I notice this article also refers to Toronto's 'Streets To Homes' program.

Sure, some homeless people in Toronto are being steered into housing -
generally in the outer margins of the city, often in a living situation
with others with whom they may be incompatible, without sufficient
income to live on and without ability to access the resources that might
assist them to stay housed long-term or otherwise improve their quality
of life.

This program relies on a 'rent-supplement' arrangement which lines the
pockets of private landlords and which fails to address either the
critical shortage of social housing (the waiting list for RGI
accommodation is no shorter as a result of Streets To Homes) or the
grossly inadequate level of social assistance and the minimum wage.

When the 'Streets To Homes' program kicked in early last year a parallel
regulation was enacted that legally forbade outreach services (such as
that run by Anishnawbe Health) from distributing survival resources such
as sleeping bags or hot food to homeless persons. The claim is that
doing so 'enables' people to remain homeless rather than making the
transition into housing - whatever that is supposed to mean. (Sorry, I
don't speak Bureaucratese).

It was also recently used as a pretext for a particularly brutal police
action against a man who was living independently of the system in a
self-constructed home under the Gardiner Expressway bridge (An incident
I witnessed personally - see
http://graemesgallery.atspace.com/Chris_Gardiner_Evicted) despite the
fact he was hurting no one and costing the city not one cent - he merely
sought to live as he saw fit, something which clearly freaked out the
power-brokers at 100 Queen St. W. The operation against this one man
involved dozens of cops and was carried out with a ruthless precision
that was terrifying to watch.

So-called 'supportive housing' which incorporates 'bundled services' is
also doomed to failure in many cases. As far as I'm concerned housing is
a right which should never hinge upon someone's compliance with
mandatory programs or 'mental health treatment'. While support resources
need to be made available for people who wish to access them these
programs need to be kept completely separate from someone's housing
situation. The last thing vulnerable people need hanging over their
heads is yet another pretext for eviction.

My own feeling is that this article doesn't tell the whole story - if
Toronto's recent methodology or NYC's own history under Guiliani (sp?)
are any indication I suspect that a mass of writhing worms is at work
beneath the Big Apple's seemingly rosy exterior. The major shortfall to
both mainstream journalism and academic studies in this area is that
they generally obtain their information from the 'service sector' or
governments rather than the people directly affected.

Graeme