Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:27:50 -0500
**PLEASE NOTE CHANGE IN LOCATION

**please circulate widely to your networks
**apologies for cross-posting

The Centre for Urban Health Initiatives (CUHI)'s
Environmental Health Justice in the City RIG Presents.

You're loud, you stink, and you're in their face:
Governmentality and environmental justice in the city

Presented by: Dr. Jeff Masuda
February 26th, 2009 from 2 - 3:30pm
Sidney Smith Rm 1088, University of Toronto (100 St. George St.)

Description of Seminar: Using three case studies of contentious land
development proposals in low, medium, and high income areas of Hamilton,
Ontario, we will explore and discuss some of the techniques that are
implicated in the historical and geographical differentiation of the urban
environment. The seminar will provide a basis for discussion on how
governmentality can inform a more robust theory of environmental justice
that takes into account local capacities to produce (and resist) forms of
knowledge about places on the basis perceived environmental 'worth'.

Biography
Dr. Masuda is trained as an environmental health geographer and is currently
a Postdoctoral Fellow at the UBC Centre for Population Health Promotion
Research. He has spent the last three years developing a program of research
focused on promoting environmental health justice perspectives in Canada.
Dr. Masuda's research interests are in environmental risk, community based
participatory research, critical social theory, environmental
justice/equity, and knowledge translation. Since 2007, Dr. Masuda has
actively promoted a number of research and policy capacity building
initiatives of the /Canadian Network on Environment, Health, and Social
Equity/, which now includes over 100 representatives from academic,
non-profit, government, and community sectors from across Canada. His past
and present research has been funded by SSHRC, Agriculture and Agri-Food
Canada, Allergen NCE, CIHR, McMaster University, and the BC Environmental
and Occupational Health Research Network.

About the Environmental Health Justice in the City Research Interest
Group/Network
With funding from the Centre for Urban Health Initiatives at the University
of Toronto, our network is focused on advancing the theory and practice of
how social inequities in environmental health in the city are (re)produced,
assessed, understood/experienced, & addressed. We are particularly
interested in advancing the understanding and application of innovative
community-based, participatory, and arts-informed approaches. Specific
substantive foci include (a) perception, governance, distribution of
environmental health inequities in an urban context, (b) urban form and the
built environment as key components of environmental justice, and (c)
climate justice in an urban context. The diverse and growing RIG membership
includes faculty and students from several disciplines at 5 universities,
numerous local and national NGOs, policy-makers and government.

We have funding for 2 seed grant pilot projects: (a) a photovoice project
with partners in Parkdale to document (and develop indicators from) the
lived experience of environmental health injustice among marginalized
groups; (b) an arts-enabled 'resonant installation' approach to popular
education on climate justice. We are looking to expand our network and to
catalyze the development of new initiatives - please join us!

.

Alexis Kane Speer, M.A.
Centre Coordinator/ Research Associate
Centre for Urban Health Initiatives (CUHI)
University College, Room 259
University of Toronto
15 King's College Circle
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H7