SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Doris Grinspun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:36:11 -0500
Pesticide Regulations Action Alert

Action Alert: Last Chance to Ensure Strong Pesticide Regulations

February 3, 2009

We are asking you to help us a final time to win regulations that will
protect our children and the environment from the cosmetic use of
pesticides.  Ontario is getting close to implementing regulations that
we hope will be the best in North America. Cabinet will make a decision
within days.  Hundreds of RNAO members contacted MPPs in December as a
result of our last action alert, and that helped a great deal.  Of
course the pesticide industry has been lobbying very hard, so the
government must be reminded that nurses and the public support strong
pesticide regulations.  Please take several minutes right now to send
your MPP a message.  Below, we show you how to do that easily.

Background

RNAO has campaigned for bans on the cosmetic use of pesticides since
2000, and this is an issue that the public really understands.  At least
35 Ontario municipalities now have pesticide bylaws, thanks to the
efforts of RNAO and its partners.  The momentum and the overwhelming
popularity of bans on cosmetic use of pesticides led to a campaign to
take the legislation province-wide.

The Ontario government made a commitment in 2007 to quickly enact
pesticide legislation, a move RNAO enthusiastically supported.  RNAO was
concerned that the June 2008 legislation nullified the hard-fought
municipal pesticide bylaws, but we are happy to support the draft
regulations released November 7, as they are not weaker than existing
municipal bylaws.  We do however advocate that proposed exemptions for
golf courses and specialty turf should face deadlines for phase-out.

For RNAO's submission on the pesticide regulations, please go to this link:
http://www.rnao.org/Page.asp?PageID=122&ContentID=2779&SiteNodeID=465&BL_ExpandID=

For further details on the regulations, see this link below:
http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=MTA0OTk2&statusId=MTU3MjYz&language=en

For polling on Ontarians' attitudes to pesticide use on golf courses,
see this link:
http://cela.ca/uploads/f0803f62de5d2a1f673df7aaaca0e77b/MR080904_pesticidepoll.pdf

Action Requested
Please go to this link right now to tell your MPP you support strong
pesticide regulations:
http://www.rnao.org/Page.asp?PageID=122&ContentID=2718

To view the electronic action alert, please click go to this link:
http://www.rnao.org/Page.asp?PageID=122&ContentID=2780&SiteNodeID=403&BL_ExpandID=

Should you have any questions, please contact Kim Jarvi (RNAO, Senior
Economist at [log in to unmask] or 416-599-1925 ext. 236)

Sent from RNAO Home Office

This e-mail is confidential, intended solely for the use of the
recipient(s) to whom it was addressed.
If you have received it in error, we ask that you notify us immediately
by replying to the sender and
then delete this e-mail. If you have any questions regarding the
authenticity of e-mail you have
received from Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO) please do
not hesitate to contact us at
1 800 268 7199 or 416 599 1925.

Please visit us at our website:  http://www.rnao.org/privacy for our
privacy policy

If you DO NOT wish to receive emails from RNAO please go to: