SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:15:08 -0400
For those who have been following along, I've uploaded the final reports which complete the
WISE book. They represent the culmination of an intense project which was done by low-income
women in my community.

As much as the preceding portions of the book - the story behind the project and the stories
told by the women themselves - are compelling, the first report reflects the women's own
assessments and hopes for the future and contains shocking and unexpected facts. The second
report completes the book with the women's recommendations and is full of surprises,
particularly in light of the preceding stories and the Issues report. It stunningly challenges
assumptions concerning where the solutions truly lie and who the real "stakeholders" are or
should be.

The first report is hard to take. Throughout the year I was doing the project, it felt like I was
sitting on a bomb and the need to keep what I was learning to myself, to tell no one, built a
steady internal pressure. At times, I felt ready to explode. It didn't help that I was struggling
with my own severe breakdown. So it was a relief to get the report out, although the session
during which I read the final version to the women before adding it to the waiting manuscript,
was difficult; my voice broke several times. (Which is why I couldn't carry through with
completing the entire book in podcast form. Stopped after the last story, leaving the Issues and
Recommendations reports to be delivered in electronic print form instead.)

http://tinyurl.com/dmu5ez

Ocean
--
Book: Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the front
Podcast Channel: http://bcseawalker.podbean.com/

Support the BC Citizens Assembly's Recommendation on Electoral Reform.
On May 12, vote for Better Democracy: Vote for  BC-STV.

For information, visit http://www.stv.ca/
Mid-Islanders, see also http://yes4stv-midvi.blogspot.com/