From:
Erin Ottosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:37:40 -0600
JUNE NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

JUNE 2009 WELLSPRING NOW AVAILABLE:
"Filling the Need: The Importance of Hiring Exercise Professionals"

When you hear the words "exercise professional," what do you think? Are you
not quite sure what makes an exercise professional "professional"?

The truth about exercise professionals is that they are much more than the
gym-related stereotypes we might think of. And now, more than ever, we need
their expertise--not only in gyms and fitness centres, but also in hospitals
and health care centres, workplaces, schools, and more.

This WellSpring covers the following topics:
- What an exercise professional is
- Why we need exercise professionals in health care, in workplaces and
schools, and in other settings
- Certifications for exercise professionals and what they mean
- How to make an exercise professional part of your organization

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/publications/wellspring/2009/jun-hire-exer
cise-professionals.html

NOW AVAILABLE: VIDEO OF GUY FAULKNER'S PHYSICAL ACTIVITY FORUM PRESENTATION:
"Is Sweat the Best Antidepressant?"

We have now posted the video of Dr. Guy Faulkner’s presentation for our 2009
Physical Activity Forum, "Is Sweat the Best Antidepressant? The Case for
Physical Activity as an Antidote for Depression."

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/physical-activity-forum/2009-mental-h
ealth/index.html

NOW AVAILABLE: KAREN LEE'S PRESENTATION ON HEALTHY BUILT ENVIRONMENTS

Dr. Karen Lee’s April presentation about creating healthy built environments
is now available on our website. This presentation was about her work in New
York City reducing physical inactivity through architectural and other
environmental design guidelines.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/events/2009/creating-healthier-enviro
nments-talk.html

ALBERTA PUBLIC HEALTH SUMMER SCHOOL: "Powerful Ideas, Powerful Actions"

This conference, organized by the Alberta Public Health Association and the
University of Calgary Department of Community Health Sciences, will increase
the capacity of public health professionals and their partners to promote
health and prevent disease. August 17-19 in Calgary, Alberta.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/events.html

--

ABOUT THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

The Alberta Centre for Active Living is affiliated with the University of
Alberta Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation and is supported by the
Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife Foundation and the Government of
Alberta.

Visit our Events webpage to find out more about workshops, symposia,
conferences and other events coming up in July, August, and beyond:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/events.html

Visit our Physical Activity Information Round-Up to catch up on recent
research, resources, and stories in the media about physical activity:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/library/roundup/index.html

Subscribe to RSS updates from the Alberta Centre for Active Living:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/rssfeedinfo.html