From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:59:16 -0400
a special invitation to:
Public health planners and practitioners, policy makers, public health evaluators, community partners working with public health (e.g., NGOs, community health centres, school boards and educational institutions)....

 a Fireside Chat - free pan-Canadian discussion via telephone/internet

Using an Online Toolkit to Address Social Determinants of Health Through Multiple Intervention Programs
Date & Time: Thursday, 08 October 2009, 01:00 PM — 02:30 PM (Eastern Time)

For more information and to register: www.chnet-works.ca

Race…gender…income…All of these affect our health. In fact, considerable evidence exists that unequal social conditions contribute significantly to the persistent inequalities in the health of populations, internationally and in Canada.

How can public health programs address these, and other, social determinants of health?  How are ‘social determinants’ understood and defined? What information can we draw upon to identify the determinants that we might be able to address? What kinds of interventions might be effective? How can we assess the impact of health interventions on social determinants? Is there any evidence that the social determinants can be altered through public health programming?

If you have ever asked yourself these questions, please join us on October 8. This Fireside chat will focus on using elements of the Multiple Interventions Program Tool Kit, an on-line resource for public health planners, to take into account social determinants of health when planning, implementing, and evaluating multiple intervention programs.

The presentation begins with some key definitions, statistics and issues  (both Canadian and international). Next, we will provide an overview of how specific sections (modules and activities) of the Multiple Interventions Program Tool Kit can be used to help guide discussion and planning for public health interventions that address social determinants. We will use some of the activity templates and examples in the Tool Kit as illustrations.

In the second half of the session, a public health practitioner will share experiences on using the Multiple Interventions Program Tool Kit to undertake a socio-ecological assessment in the planning stages of a new program, focusing on the benefits and challenges of using this approach to address social determinants of health.

We hope to have ample time for discussion and sharing of your own experiences.

A list of additional resources (reports, articles books, web-sites, videos) related to social determinants of health will also be made available after the presentation

www.miptoolkit.com

Advisors on Tap:

Alma Estable, MSW
Alma Estable is a Qualitative Research Consultant with the University of Ottawa Community Health Research Unit, and a senior partner with Gentium Consulting, a community-based social research firm. She helped develop the MIP Online Toolkit, and has over twenty years of experience working with equity-seeking groups on issues related to community capacity and social justice.

Mechthild Meyer, M Ed
Mechthild Meyer is a Qualitative Research Consultant with the University of Ottawa Community Health Research Unit, and a senior partner with Gentium Consulting, a community-based social research firm. She helped develop and pilot the MIP Online Toolkit, and has over twenty years of experience working with equity-seeking groups on issues related to community capacity and social justice.

Bev Wilcox R.N., B.N., M.Ed., Research Ethics Secretariat, Integration, Quality & Standards Branch, Ottawa Public Health
Bev Wilcox has experience in a number of areas of public health including reproductive health, early years health and chronic disease prevention and is currently the Research Ethics Secretariat at Ottawa Public Health. She helped facilitate the pilot of the MIP Toolkit assessment module with the Reproductive Health Program at Ottawa Public Health.

CHNET-works! hosts weekly fireside chats re: community health issues.
a project of RRASpHIRN, University of Ottawa
Population Health Improvement Research Network -
RÉSEAU DE RECHERCHES D'AMÉLIORATION DE LA SANTÉ DE LA POPULATION