Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:23:27 -0700
Dear Fazil Mihlar, Editorial Pages-Editor, Vancouver Sun

For several years, our small, Impact on Communities Coalition has
worked with community partners to advocate for the best possible 2010
Games.  Our UBC Centre has supported these efforts through research
on the impact(s) of the Games on the Inner-City.  Together, we seek
to maximize the goods and minimize any harms associated with the
Olympics. We have been advocating for maintaining Canadians' civil
liberties around 2010.

VANOC recently stated that they will NOT restrict peaceful,
unobtrusive protests inside or outside of Olympic venues.  A person
will be free to carry a small sign or wear a free Tibet T-shirt.  If
this is true, then VANOC and our governments should be
congratulated.  It is a great step forward in Olympic freedoms.

Please Accept this Letter to the Editor

Congratulations to VANOC?
VANOC has stated that they will not restrict peaceful protests inside
or outside of the Olympic venues.  A person will be free to carry a
small sign or wear a free Tibet T-shirt.  If this is true, then VANOC
and our governments should be congratulated.  It may be a great leap
forward in Olympic freedoms; the proof will be in the protests.

Dr. Jim Frankish
Past Chair, 2010 Impact on Communities Coalition

Dr. Jim Frankish
Professor & Director, Centre for Population Health Promotion Research (HELP)
College for Interdisciplinary Studies, and School of Population &
Public Health (Medicine)
Room 425, Library Processing Centre 2206 East Mall Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3
O: 604-822-9205, F: 604-822-0640 or 822-9228, C: 778-987-9205,
Personal web - http://www.jimfrankish.com (Updated August 30th !)