SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Rosanne Prinsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:45:38 -0600
AUGUST NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

AUGUST 2009 WELLSPRING NOW AVAILABLE

In recent years, a new type of video game has emerged: the active video
game, which gets people out of their seats and moving around as they play
the game.

Wii and other active gaming products have become incredibly popular. Almost
six million units of Wii sold in its first five months on the market, and
other products such as DanceDanceRevolution have received lots of attention
as well.

Many people are wondering if active video games are a good way to exercise,
but academic research investigating this question has been slow. That being
said, the research that has been done has yielded promising results about
the physical and psychological outcomes of playing active video games.

This WellSpring covers the following topics:
• Types of active video game products
• The outcomes of active video games: what the research says so far • What
we still need to learn • How these games can help us

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/publications/wellspring/2009/aug-video-gam
es.html

RURAL ROUTE TO ACTIVE AGING GUIDES ARE FREE AGAIN

To recover costs, we were charging $2.50 + postage for print copies of Rural
Route to Active Aging: A Guide for People Who Want to Stay Active as They
Age. Due to a grant from the Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife
Foundation, we are able to provide the guides for free again, though we may
still need to charge postage for larger orders.

For more information or to place an order, contact Lynda Matthews-Mackey:

View the guide online:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/older-adults/rural/booklet.pdf

STAFF CHANGES IN OUR OLDER ADULT AREA

Maria Tan is leaving the interim older adult coordinator position with the
Centre this August. She will be returning to school to pursue a master’s
degree in library and information studies. We are sorry to lose Maria, but
we know there may be opportunity to work with her again in the future.

The Centre’s older adult projects for 2009-10 will be in the capable hands
of Jennifer Hystad and Lesley McEwan, who are contracting their services to
the Centre. Information services concerning older adults will be handled by
our resource coordinator Rosanne Prinsen. Requests for older adult
publications and Active Independence (HSEP) materials will continue to be
handled by Lynda Matthews-Mackey.

ALBERTA PUBLIC HEALTH SUMMER SCHOOL

There’s still time to register for this conference that will increase the
capacity of public health professionals and their partners to promote health
and prevent disease. Organized by the Alberta Public Health Association and
the University of Calgary Department of Community Health Sciences. August
17-19 in Calgary, Alberta.

Register for “summer school”:
http://guest.cvent.com/EVENTS/Info/Summary.aspx?e=d03c13e5-5a25-4213-a181-60
487bf3a59e

--

ABOUT THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

The Alberta Centre for Active Living is affiliated with the University of
Alberta Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation and is supported by the
Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife Foundation and the Government of
Alberta.

Visit our Events webpage to find out more about upcoming workshops,
symposia, conferences and other events:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/events.html

Visit our Physical Activity Information Round-Up to catch up on recent
research, resources, and stories in the media about physical activity:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/library/roundup/index.html

Subscribe to RSS updates from the Alberta Centre for Active Living:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/rssfeedinfo.html